The Utah Valley Half was awesome! The course was ALL downhill. It started up the road a little past Sundance and ran all the way down the Canyon through Provo ending in front of the Provo Tabernacle. We did all our long training runs by parking at Vivian park and running down to different points depending on how long the run was supposed to be (Riverwoods, Magleby's, the UPC, etc.) I feel like I know the Canyon like the back of my hand now!
The only not awesome part of the race was meeting at Provo Towne Center Mall to take buses up to the start like at 3:30am.
On the bus ride over...
The race didn't start until 6am, so all the runners just waited on the dark mountain side. They had a few fires going, and all Emily and I could think about was how the scene very much resembled some kind of apocalyptic event where all the last humans had to band together for safety.
Once the race started the weather was perfect! Nate said he and Scott would be waiting somewhere near the bottom of the Canyon and it was exciting to see them about half way through. Scott got really happy to see Mommy and aunt "Em" as he calls her, then really sad when we kept running past! I felt bad, but it was pretty cute.
One part of races that will always be funny to me is being able to dramatically throw your water cup on the ground at the water/gatorade stations. Like you are too much of a big deal to use the trash can.
I really felt great the whole run! I love the atmosphere of races too. It is so touching to see family members cheering for their loved ones and runners who are strangers helping each other along.
Finding Nate after the finish!
My favorite people!
Scott was very excited about our finishers metals...
And after happily enduring a 10 mile run the jogging stroller during training, he deserves one too!


3 comments:
The cups! Hahaha I'm still laughing. Congrats Erin, awesome accomplishment! You'll have to teach me how to train for this one of these days :)
That's awesome Erin! You are very inspiring! Scott's dimples are still the cutest thing ever.
You are a machine! I'll work on running a mile... maybe :)
Post a Comment